Maintaining Insurance - Speak to your agent any time you make a big change. You want to make sure you’re properly covered.
- Marriage, Divorce, Death
- Moving, Remodeling, Building, Renting out your current property or buying a seasonal property
- Starting a Home Business or Farming Operation
- Adding/Selling Farm Equipment, Livestock, or Recreational Vehicles
- Leaving your home vacant or unoccupied for more than a month at a time
Fire Prevention & Planning
- Formulate an escape plan in case of a fire and practice with your family.
- There should be a smoke alarm on each level of your home and one outside each bedroom.
- Change the battery in your smoke alarm annually.
- Upgrade your smoke alarm every 10 years.
- Never leave a burning candle unoccupied or in the path of children or pets.
- Clean out the lint trap in your dryer after every load. Clean the dryer exhaust annually.
- Check electrical cords for damage and discontinue use if damage is found.
- Do not overload your electrical outlets.
- Do not leave space heaters unattended, and do not use extension cords with space heaters.
- Keep space heaters a safe distance from curtains, furniture or combustibles.
- Have your gas lines and furnace checked annually.
Solid Fuel Burning Devices - because solid fuel devices such as wood burning fireplaces, woodstoves, pellet stoves and corn stoves pose a higher risk of fire, we require that policyholders disclose if any of these devices are installed on insured property.
- All solid fuel devices must be inspected and approved by our Fire Safety Representative.
- If you’re considering installing a solid fuel device, please contact us for our requirements.
- Turn off water at the main supply.
- Have the post office hold your mail.
- Suspend deliveries.
- Use a timer for lights.
- Have a trusted family member or friend check on your home daily while you are gone.